Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fontana Dam Loop


The only bridge we found crossing Eagle Creek

My last few trips, and hopefully quite a few more to come, have been focused on getting out and doing the things I enjoy with others. Having other people on my trips gives me a new purpose for backcountry travel, and creates a new experience each time.  This past weekend was my first trip with a new friend, Eli, and ended up being a great time with some pleasant surprises.

The plan was to get started at Fontana Dam and walk along the Lake Shore Trail to Campsite 90.  Then hike up to the Appalachian Trail the next morning via Eagle Creek Trail, and finally make our way back to the parked car at Fontana Sunday morning. The last time I was in the Smokey Mountains along the AT, I remember some great panoramas and view points, but couldn't quite remember where they were. So I was a bit disappointed that this loop I found for us only had a couple of quick peeks at the neighboring ranges. On the other hand, walking along Lake Shore trail, we were able to see a rich history of culture and life in the Smokey Mountains, that I haven't experienced before. There were rusting cars all around with different bits and pieces beside them along the Lake Shore Trail, giving just enough of a glimpse into the past culture that your mind begins to wander and make up stories about what went down. Realistically, it was probably just moonshiners, but the imagination is still allowed to wander. 

One of many of the cars that we saw as we walked along Lake Shore Trail
The trip started on an odd note as I realized I left my trail runners sitting in my room about half an hour away from the trail. So I decided that I would just go ahead and hike in the Chacos that I had on, which I had done before with only small blisters. We arrived at Campsite 90 in the dark, but based on the surprisingly comfy rock loungers we found by the fire ring and the lulling sound of the river, we knew this campsite was a winner.  That night I set up my tarp, preparing for a blazingly bright moon to rise, and wasn't disappointed. By 4 in the morning, I could see our entire campsite without a headlamp, and enjoyed soaking in the winding river in the light of the moon.

The surprisingly comfortable rock loungers we found waiting for us at Campsite 90.
The next morning, the trail held more surprises for us as we came across our first creek crossing at around 8:30 AM. What I hadn't realized and prepared for well was the fact that Eagle Creek Trail crosses over Eagle Creek more than fifteen times, with only one bridge. Getting across most of these points, Eli was able to hop from rock to rock, but carrying my DSLR into the backcountry for the first time I didn't feel very safe doing this. It was then that I was happy to have forgotten my trail runners, and quickly stepped into the chilly river each time in my Chacos.

Eli crossing Eagle Creek, trying to stay dry.

After a warm cup of hot chocolate (not a fan of coffee really), a CLIF bar and a nice nap at Spence Field Shelter, while some of our gear dried out from the massive amount of dew Friday night, we started hiking South bound on the Appalachian Trail on the smoothest three mile section in the first 200 miles of the AT, in my opinion. As we followed the AT southward, we saw all the telltale signs of horseback groups going in the same direction, and I had to spend my afternoon diligently searching the trail for horse manure so I wouldn't step in it wearing only my Chacos. We arrived at Mollies Ridge Shelter ready to eat dinner and afraid that the shelter would be overrun with horses, but to our relief we didn't see a single horse the entire trip. Instead we had the pleasure of sharing the shelter with a diverse group of rowdy, but still polite and very entertaining people.

That night, under another blazingly bright moon, I heard the howl of a coyote that must have been within 100 feet of the shelter. He continued to howl for about 20 minutes, as I lay on my pad getting serenaded to sleep. 

The next morning was made up of generous elevation drops, which were a relief from a first morning of continuous climbing, but my knees still weren't a fan. My knees finally got their reprieve as Eli and I hiked back down onto the dam to end our loop in the Smokey Mountains.   As great as it was, I still want more, and I am already planning my next weekend trip for a couple of weeks from now and looking for new adventures, which may include getting into Tenkara fishing in the future.
Eli checking out the drop at the dam.
Until then, I just received 10 yards of VX07 from Dimension Polyant for new packs as well as all the materials I need for making a new down quilt. So I will be able to keep myself plenty busy. I may even get back to doing some school work so I can graduate this December. 

My campsite at Campsite 90

No comments:

Post a Comment